Friday, April 30, 2010

Gale force winds followed by...SNOW!

4/29 and 4/30.  Rides 12 and 13.
99 mph was the speed of a gust recorded on top of Sandia Peak on 4/29.  My building at work was creaking all day as well, but when I got home, it really was not that bad, so I rode in the round pen. I think the wind was blowing over the area where I live and the gusts that did dip in were working their way over the round pen area.  It honestly was not that bad.

Antsy feet got a lesson. So I decided that I needed to work on the "i can't stand still with u up there" problem.  Got on.  She moved.  I bent her head left to my toe and asked her to move her hind end untiil she softened up.  Then ,I let off the leg pressure and waited for her to stop (still soft.)  She began to move again with in 5 seconds, so I repeated.  I kept on repeating until she just stood there for a minute (afer which I was the one with antsy feet). It took about 5 minutes, whch is along time when you are doing it,but not that long really!

Thinking about loping. She is not quite ready, but thought I'd ask for a bit more on the trot and let her lope if she wanted to.  She didn't.  So, working on neck flexibilty, sideways, pushing her hind quarters in and leg yeilding against the fence.  I get caught up in gettng the  ACTION I want so I constantly have to remind myself to release and look for the try. This means I get a little and let off, get a ltitle and let off.  It is so easy to get them heavy and it is work to get the softness back.

Woke up to snow, (4/30) so I fed the dogs (to shut them up) and went back to sleep! I kept checking the thermometer all day and around 2:30 if finally broke 40 (and the snow had melted), so I finished grading papers and....played a few word games on Facebook--(this is completely my sister's fault, but I will beat her top score one day, maybe.)  Got to the barn by 4:20!  Had time to work all 4. I love the longer days!

May is very sensitive, and a little flightly, so it is constant give and take between being strict and being reassuring.  Too strict and she gets wary.  Not strict enough and she cannot focus.  She needs the structure. She also really gains comfort from her horsey buddies and not as much from me, yet.  Usually this changes over time, through regular handling, being consistent and fair.  She dose like to be talked to and petting and will put her head down and relax if I ask her to put her head down.

Her feet remembered. I got on and she was relaxed and still!  I very nearly got off and called it a day!  She did fiddle with the bit some and flip her head, so  I held the reins a bit tighter to give her more support.  This seemed to help, so later I was able to let her carry herself. Her round pen work today was quite similar to yesterday.

Trailer loading in highish winds is a bit of a challenge, so I tied the trailer door open.  4/29, Tabooli was NOT keen on getting in, even with 1 foot.  He kep pushing his shoulder into me, so I snapped it back with the longe whip, repeatedly, so he would be lined up to go in.  It is a three horse slant stock trailer, so it is an easy trailer to load into.  Put the lead rope through  the side and out so he can follow the rope in, and so he can't turn around once in there. Kept asking him to get in and he pawed and jumped up and put this foot in and out--much more distress than previous days, but finally, he decided to try.  I kept asking for this and backed off when I got anything, but started up again until he would put a foot in.

Got in, can't get out. He is afraid of backing out, so between the wind and that, he had a hard time getting out and when he did, it was in a convoluted rush.  He was able to do it by sort of turning sideways and going out like a crab. On 4/30, it was quieter wind-wise, and he stepped right in really sweetly and then couldn't get out!  I got in and helped.  He sort of jumped out, backwards, of course.  I was effusive with the praise.  This horse is very sensible (but some stuff worries him) and he seems to really want to please.  Plus he believes me when I tell him he is a rock star.  This is a nice combo because then I convince him to try stuff and that he "did good"!  Debated and decided to do a third go.  He got in and was able to get out in a pretty smooth way.  Not perfect but pretty darn good! Rock Star!

Got up, but not on. He wore the tarp wthout complaint.  He loped both directions with equal ease (May is right leaded naturally, but she also loped both ways with equal ease today).  He was settled and paid good attention even though all the girls were tied up with in sight--actually BECAUSE they were in sight and not running amok next fiel over like 4/29 and distracting him.  So, I set him up facing the rail and got up in the stirrups.  I just stood there.  Yesterday he flinched big time when I reached over to pet him, but today, he was very quiet!  Did that on both sides and laid on him, too.  Swung my leg around and this did not bother him.  Nearly got all the way on, but it started snowing.  He had done so well, decided to stop at this good spot!

"I'm not supposed to whinny! Doh!" I was leading him back to his pen and he started to talk.  I have been popping the lead rope, hard, when he talks and scolding him verbally.  He quits pretty quick, usually.  This time he started up, but before I coudl get after him, he had stopped moving and started backing.  He also shut up.  I think he is getting the message!

No comments:

Post a Comment