Saturday, June 26, 2010

Winston

So, my facebook friend Jessi Phillips Speer (you can friend her too!) is working hard at rescuing horses from a kill pen in Texas.  For some oddball reason, I decided I needed to rescue a horse. I have 3.  I have 4 actually.  One is in Kansas (she is one month old--Lacey--ooh ooh and her cousin  just won the non pro reining at the NRHA Derby--the cousin, County Custom's mom is Lacey's mom's full sister....CC was ridden by Kim Dooley) 

Ok but back to the rescue.  Jessi described him and for some reason I decided I needed to save him.  So I sent her my 400 bucks via Paypal and this is what we got: WINSTON!  4-6 years old, broke to ride and sweet as can be.  Can't wait to get him here and I can already tell I am going to be real particular when it comes to finding him a new home (although there is someone who is already interested!)


Tabooli went on a ranch vacation with his dad, Peter. They are up near Tres Piedras  (TP)--um I think that is where there are anyway, and Tabooli probably is getting to pack a little and hopefully push a few cows.  I was DYING to go too (not that I was actually invited--was just going to stow away in the trailer!), but had hay delivered and stacked today (super nice for 5.40 a bale--it was like winning the lottery!), and am going to the Pecos Wilderness tomorrow to pack out some trail workers, which will also be fun! (But I am afraid it might also be very wet....)

This week Peter came to ride Tabooli and it went pretty well, but Tabooli was a bit of a butt on the loping.  He was tight and wanted to hop around with me, he didn't steer great, and he wasnt forward enough.  Now granted he has only 30 rides and I have been taking him really slow, but you know I wanted him to look perfect.  He is trotting really nicely though and he did listen very hard and did what he thought he was supposed to do for Peter, um well, most of the time!!!  Tabooli will be back tomorrow I think.

MAY is doing much better after two applications of Shoshana's magic scratches formula.  The vet informed me that this was NOT scratches but was a photosenstivity reaction....I think I mentioned that...whatever it is, the magic potion is helping.  Should have redone the application today...but I am just done for the day.

Penny had some really nice ring days thsi week and some not so nice ring days.  I keep thinking I can use a snaffle and improve her lightness, but I just am not doing well.  I just need to stick with the shank bit (except when I work cows with her--Mark suggests I stick with a snaffle in case I end up in her mouth accidentally, not that this would EVER happen to me!!)
I am still trying to get her withers up more and her poll and jaw soft at the lope.  To the right we are ok but no so much to the left.  More flexibiity exercises and TIME.  I just need to tell myself:  I HAVE TIME, a al Kathleen, a la Colonel Podhasky (spelling is in question), a dressage guy that rode Lipizanners whose book My Horses My Teachers, I read in high school; my friend Kathleen is reading it right now--she read it TWICE IN A ROW.  That is how much she liked it.  Now I need to reread it....

RISA is naturally very light in her face and up in the shoulders.  Her new nickname is Fussbudget (Cheryl N--right on!) due to her over all cranky pessimistic outlook.  But she just cracks me up and I love the light catty feel of her to ride.  She is a dinky one--14.1, but man she is quick.  Her lope is improving little by little (although she wrings her tail 1/2 the time!).  Her flying lead changes are starting to be more consistent in response to cues.  She pretty natural at them, so it is easy to set her up to get them.  Working slowly toward all on cue changes.

When Risa goes with a quiet mouth and a quiet tail, while doing all the cool athletic thngs she can do, I will be so proud.  Don't hold your breath though.  I think it will take 2 more years, at least!

Penny and Risa both worked cows on weds.  Penny is pretty low key aobut it but interested,  Risa got very animaated but had one tremendous turn.  Other wise, I am pretty much walking her behind the cows, letting her just get a feel for it all.  It was her first go at it after the "i will kill Leon the burro!"  attempt 6 weeks ago or so.  Probably won't take her this week as I will take Tabooli instead...and with a 3 horse trailer, I think one stud with Vicks in his nose, a empty space, and one filly, is about all I can do.


THOR the gaited pinto came today.  He is cute as a button with a beautiful black and white mane and a lovely arched neck that he carries with great style.  He hasn't been ridden in a year and is not sure about having to go back to work, but a little ground work showed he is a pretty willing guy.  I also rode him out and about (he was supposed to be very good out) and he was tense and a little jiggy and snorty, but his feet generally moved forward, not sideways.  I thougth he did awesome for having been off for so long.  Also, it seems that maybe he often got his way instead of the rider's way, so he is a teensy bit willful at times.

Coyotes are yipping out back and I need to go get some supper and pack up for tomorrow!  Until next week. 
Oh hey --I have a Friday blog, too on the website of my friend and author Doranna Durgin.  Here is the link: http://www.doranna.net/wordplay/ My page/ blog thingie is called The Write Horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment